To view all barristers click here
A highly esteemed Queen’s Counsel, Mark possesses over 35 years’ experience prosecuting some of the most complex and high-profile criminal trials in New South Wales.
Serving as the Senior Crown Prosecutor – the leader of the State’s Crown Prosecutors – for 20 years, Mark was the Head of Chambers of 80 – 100 Crown Prosecutors and was responsible for their management and for the allocation of all criminal trial briefs. His experience also extended to prosecuting several high-profile political cases overseas.
Since joining Wardell Chambers in 2018, Mark has expanded his areas of practice to include Commissions and Inquiries, arbitrations and mediations, criminal matters (including environmental law prosecutions), disciplinary proceedings, and inquests. He has appeared in a wide range of jurisdictions, including the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal and the High Court of Australia, and was recently briefed in an Inquiry on behalf of the Government to make recommendations with respect to improvements in efficiency, transparency, fairness and consistency of one of its major departments. His professional interests now also extend to conducting mediations as a mediator.
Notably, Mark was appointed a Cavaliere (Italian National Honour) in 2009 and a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 2013. He is a Visiting Professorial Fellow at the University of Wollongong, a Councillor at the State Library of NSW, a Trustee of Sydney Grammar School and a former Board Member of the National Art School in Sydney.
Mark has authored three true-crime books and has written numerous articles and delivered presentations on a variety of legal subjects. With an avid interest in photography, Mark has also been a successful exhibiting photographer for many years and his photography book entitled “Shooting around Corners” was published by Beagle Press in 2012.
Mark holds a Master of Arts (Business Law) from the City of London Polytechnic (now, London Metropolitan University) and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney.
APPOINTMENTS AND ADMISSIONS TO PRACTICE
- 1988 Appointed Senior Counsel
- 1977 Called to the Bar of New South Wales
- 1974 Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- 1975 Master of Arts (Business law): City of London Polytechnic (now, London Metropolitan University)
- 1974 Bachelor of Laws: University of Sydney
- 2018 – present Senior Counsel, Wardell Chambers
- 1997 – 2018 Senior Crown Prosecutor for NSW
- 1990 – 1997 Deputy Senior Crown Prosecutor
- 1983–1990 Crown Prosecutor
ACCOLADESPROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of the Order of Australia (AM): 2013
- Appointed an Italian Cavaliere for services to the law and photography: 2009
- Member,New South Wales Bar Association
- Visiting Professor, University of Wollongong
- Councillor, State Library of New South Wales
- Trustee,Sydney Grammar School
- Former Member, Board of Directors, National Art School, Sydney (2009 – 2018)
- Mark has written several books, legal articles and manuals relating to commercial, environmental, criminal law and history. He has also written three true-crime books and was the co-ordinator of a team of Crown Prosecutors who wrote and edited a Crown Prosecutors Manual.
- He has also delivered hundreds of papers to legal associations, community groups, charitable organizations, university student groups, photographic societies and has given many talks about his three true-crime books throughout Australia.