To view all barristers click here
Called to the bar in 2021
Areas of practice
Matt comes to the bar after 16 years of practice as a lawyer, predominantly in criminal law. Matt worked as a senior prosecutor at the Commonwealth DPP for over 11 years in a practice that spanned a wide range of crime-types. His practice included terrorism, large scale organised crime, money laundering, and drug importations, commercial (including insider trading and breach of director’s duties), tax and revenue fraud, human trafficking and regulatory offences, as well as international extraditions. Matt has held leadership roles as a Principal Legal Officer and Principal Federal Prosecutor in four different jurisdictions, where he led teams of federal prosecutors conducting the full range of the CDPP’s prosecutions. He has appeared in Supreme, District and Local Court proceedings in several jurisdictions.
Matt also worked as a State Prosecutor at the Western Australian DPP for 3 years. He had a busy District Court practice including robbery, burglary, serious assault, drug trafficking and fraud, and appeared in hundreds of sentence hearings. He also conducted hearings in the Magistrates Court against police officers. He appeared as junior counsel in a number of trials in both the Supreme and District Courts, including for armed robbery, online child exploitation, sexual assault and motor vehicle manslaughter, and has appeared as junior counsel in the WA Court of Appeal.
Matt started his legal career with the Aboriginal Legal Service in Redfern, and has worked in native title for both claimants and government. He accepts briefs to appear in all Australian courts and tribunals, including in regional and remote locations. Prior to becoming a lawyer Matt spent time working for Sidley & Austin in Chicago, and as an aid worker in China.
ADMISSIONS TO PRACTICE
- 2021 Called to the Bar of New South Wales
- 2006 Federal Court of Australia
- 2005 Supreme Court of Western Australia
- 2004 Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Barrister, Wardell Chambers, 2021
- Federal Prosecutor, Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, 2011-2021, 2007/08
- State Prosecutor, Director of Public Prosecutions for Western Australia, 2008-2011
- Solicitor, Department of Planning and Infrastructure WA, 2006/2007
- Solicitor, Yamatji Land & Sea Council, 2005/2006
- Solicitor, Aboriginal Legal Service, Redfern 2004/2005
- Johnson -v- The State of Western Australia  WASCA 164
- Narrier -v- The State of Western Australia  WASCA 191